Sunday 9 December 2007

Blogging For Influence - Where's YOUR Fire?

We're still on the subject of Blogging for Influence & Attention.

When I built my first website in 1995 on Geocities, it was about a subject I was passionate. Congenital heart defects. In a month, on average, the site had 8 visitors. I didn't care. Mine was a labor of love.

A talent scout for About.com (then The Mining Company) found me, invited me to write for About.com's heart disease section, and I was soon making $1,000 a month - a royal income for a post-grad in India (conversion was Rs.47 for the US dollar!)

It was a similar story with blogging.

'Remarkably Purple Spots' was born in June 2003. This is how I answered the question:

"Why this blog?"

Every day, several remarkable things cross my desk, my mind and my computer screen. Hilariously funny things. Shockingly outrageous ones. Wildly profitable stuff. Or just simply curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment